Thursday, April 07, 2011

Celebrating my new home - and a new season!

The lovely lady who delivers fresh bouquets to our office every Monday morning says that hyacinths are her culture's New Year flower. 



If I could choose when to celebrate New Year, I'd do it in the spring time, too.  I love this season when everything starts to come alive after a long winter's sleep.

This spring my sense of renewal is particularly strong, as I am also starting life in a new place.  I moved in last week and it's really starting to feel like home.

Today I bought the first flowers for my new place - this pot of hyacinths. Just the thing to put on the empty side of my mantelpiece. And their fragrance will greet people as soon as they step in through the front door. I was tempted to buy the cut ones, but figured that the potted ones will last longer.  The flower man gave me a good tip: keep them outside in the cold when I'm out of the house or asleep - this will keep them from growing too tall for the pot.

Happy Spring!


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails